For those who have just received your organic produce delivery today and have wondered what interesting salad you can whip up with our organic greens, we consulted with no less than Chef Mikko Reyes (of the Hungry Hound and Niner Ichi Nana), who concocted a delightful recipe exclusively for The Green Grocer organic patrons. Just thinking about this dish is making us salivate!
The secret ingredient?
Here is one of the best salads you will ever make in the comfort of your home:
Grilled Pineapple and Organic Green Salad
with Crumbled Blue Cheese, Toasted Pine Nuts
and Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/2 Pineapple: peeled, core taken out, and cut into rings .5″ thick
- 1 bunch each of Green Ice and Lollo Rosso lettuce: washed under running water, keep in ice water for 5 mins. to make it crisp, then cut into smaller leaves
- 20. pine nuts: toast in an oven toaster or in a pan with no oil low heat until aroma comes out.
- 80g Gouda Blue Cheese or any kind of semi soft blue cheese available: roughly crumbled into chunks
- 50ml Balsamic vinegar
- 150ml Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 20ml Organic Wild Honey
- Salt to taste
Preparation and Assembly:
- Grill pineapple rings in a hot grill or grill pan until caramelized with grill marks. Let cool then cut into chunks.
- Whisk together the honey, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- To assemble, place greens and pineapple in a mixing bowl and season with a bit of salt. Then add the vinaigrette and the toss. Don’t be afraid to use your hands, its ok. 😉
- Transfer to a serving dish then top it with toasted pine nuts and crumbled blue cheese.